Tuesday April 2, 2019 (RBB NEWS) – The Office of Director of Public Prosecutions closed its file on the Garissa University attack case on Tuesday. “Four out of the five suspects were found with a case to answer. A total of 22 witnesses testified against them, including students who survived the attack.
During the defence hearing, three accused persons opted to remain silent as one of them testified on oath on March 25, 2019.
Milimani chief magistrate Francis Andayi directed the prosecution and defence team to file written submissions on or before the April 9.
Earlier this year, the suspects had been accused of being members of al Shabaab and being in Kenya unlawfully.
Postmortem reports of 125 bodies were presented before the court as an exhibit during the trial of the suspects.
State counsel Carol Sigei had said the direct and circumstantial evidence was salient enough to find the suspects guilty.
Sigei said the five suspects who were arrested with the assistance of the National Intelligence Service were in active communication with their four accomplices.
The raid in Garissa University College on April 2, 2015 left 148 people dead and several students left with injuries.