Somalia government has denied reports that it opted to resolve its maritime boundary dispute with Kenya out of court.
In a statement, presidency’s director of communications Abdinur Mohamed Ahmed termed the media reports claiming Somalia accepted the case to be ironed out on the table of negotiation as malicious.
“We unequivocally deny a change of the position of the Federal Government of Somalia on the ongoing case at ICJ,” the statement reads in part.
He said that the case to be settle before International Court of Justice.
“The office of the Attorney General will investigate the sources of this propaganda and the fake news” he said.
The move comes barely a day after several local media in Mogadishu reported President Farmajo’s is willing the case to be delayed to give space for negotiation.
Some Kenyan media on Tuesday reported that Ethiopian Prime minister, Abiye Ahmed is seeking to hold talks for the leaders of Somalia and Kenya aiming at resolving their differences out of court.
Nairobi based website “The East African” reports that Ethiopia PM Abiy Ahmed had scheduled a meeting for this week between presidents Uhuru Kenyatta and Mohammed Farmajo for July 13.
In 2017, Somalia succeeded its first bid to resolve a case before the ICJ as the court quashed claims fronted by Kenya’s lawyers that there exists an alternative method of resolving the matter.
Last month the Court published a schedule for the hearing of the case which slated for September 9 and run through to September 13.
The two countries have disputed over is potentially lucrative narrow triangular stretch of 100,000km2 of offshore territory. The area is believed to contain large oil and gas deposits.